Sunday, November 26, 2006

Building your own cables...why not?

Recently, I got into making my own cables for my studio. I got a great deal on some Mogami microphone wire at a local music store and thought what the heck. I got some Neutrik XLR connectors, and started soldering...

Was it worth it?

I got a 500' roll of wire for $60, which comes out to 12 cents a foot. The Neutrik ends were $2.95 each from zzounds.com. I used the Neutrik NC3MX and the Neutrik NC3FX. I have seen cheaper XLR connectors for as low as a dollar each. To make a 20' cable costs around $10.40. I tested them and made sure they worked before I used them with any high end mics or my main mixing console. I hooked up my vocal microphone, the Shure KSM32, directly to my mixer, with the channel direct out going to a hard disk recorder. I made some test recordings with my new cable, and with a "no-name" cable that came with a microphone. The results? There is a difference. I found that the cable made with Mogami wire had better highs and sounded clearer than the generic cable. Not to mention, the price can't be beat!

No comments: